Job Posting: Environment and Forest Policy Analyst
Please note that this is a repost of a previously-posted job, intended to solicit additional candidates.
Coast Forest Products Association is seeking a talented Environment and Forest Policy Analyst with an interest and enthusiasm in forest land use planning and forest management.
The ideal candidate has either a background and/or education in forest management including: timber supply analysis & modelling, and land use planning processes. As well, the candidate will possess an aptitude around data management analysis. He/she is motivated to learn and grow their knowledge base with a view to making changes to further improve the industry.
The successful candidate will possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, be able to synthesize information quickly, be well organized and have the ability to work with minimal supervision. The individual will be innovative and capable of seeing the big picture while maintaining focus on day-to-day activities.
This position requires ability to build effective internal and external relationships including direct interaction with member companies, government agencies, other industry associations, ENGOs and First Nation representatives. The position is based in Vancouver and will require some travel and limited field work within Coastal BC.
Reporting to the CEO, specific accountabilities of this position include:
- Analysis and support of various policy alternatives effecting the coastal forest sector,
- Leading analysis to support efforts of the Coast Forest Conservation Initiative and Joint Solutions Project to:
- Promote viable solutions in the implementation of Ecosystem Based Management (EBM) on the Central Coast of British Columbia, and
- Improve competitiveness, forest management and viability of forest companies.
- optimize the business, social and environmental benefit related to a wide range of forest policies, pricing and landuse alternatives.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
The Environment and Policy Analyst position requires a high degree of motivation, integrity, professionalism, effective communication and strong analytical skills. The successful candidate will be approachable and team-orientated with the ability to effectively deliver results independently that are aligned with the strategic objectives of the Coast Forest Products Association as determined by its board.
Preference will be given to Registered Professional Foresters who have some or all of the following:
- University degree in forestry, environment, or other related discipline;
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of timber supply modelling and ArcGIS;
- Knowledge and aptitude in building and managing spatial databases;
- Demonstrated analytical, communication (interpersonal and written) and computer skills;
- Understanding of British Columbia’s forest and environment legislative policy framework – related policy and/or economics would be considered an asset;
- Knowledge of First Nations and other key stakeholder issues in British Columbia and understanding of related legislation would also be an asset.
Established in 1993, Coast Forest Products Association is based in Vancouver, B.C. and represents member companies that operate along British Columbia’s beautiful coast. Coast Forest takes a leadership approach to ensuring that B.C.’s coastal forestry sector continues to thrive so it can support individuals and communities, and sustain the health of our forests and ecosystems for generations to come. We accomplish this through focused government relations and forest policy work, product education and market development, communications and security initiatives.
For more information, please visit: www.coastforest.org
Interested applicants should e-mail their cover letter and resume in a single, pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading, “Environment and Forest Policy Analyst.” Applications will be accepted until midnight, Friday, January 30, 2015.
This job posting constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function within the Association. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Please note that no telephone calls will be accepted.